NEW ARC

North East Wildlife Animal Rehabilitation Coalition is a 501(c)3, non-profit organization. We are a group of licensed wildlife rehabilitators, and these are the tales of the injured and orphaned animals we care for until they are able to be released back into the wild.

Friday, January 18, 2013

Bad, good, and great updates!

Well I am sad to report I had to euthanize Cujo the squirrel. Unfortunately he began to self-mutilate and he injured his front foot too severely.
On a much brighter note, I am happy to report that the bun JoAnn is taking care of is still doing well. He's done with the antibiotics, still eating well and not overly stressed. The leg is still an issue, but it looks good for this lucky bun!

  The squirrel from Tuft's is doing well also. I don't really get to see much of her at all though! No matter how quietly I sneak out there to try to get a peek, she knows I'm coming and she's tucked away in her comfy nest inside the 5ft hollow tree in her pen. She's eating like a pig though and I got a pretty good look at her staring up at me from inside the tree after some pretty creative maneuvering, shining a flashlight in there and positioning a mirror just right to see inside down there! Another good reason I live in the woods where no one can see me.....anyone watching that show surely would have thought I was out of my gourd!! LOL

Dusty, Buddy and Sissy are doing great...and I believe I forgot to mention last time that Odie joined them out there. My little runty boy, never expected to survive! He may have been slow to develop, but develop he did! He looks like a normal, beautiful raccoon now. All he needed was the time to catch up and a safe place to do so.
At about 3.5 months old he was about the size of a 2 month old...if that, and only his canine teeth had come in. Molars were just starting and incisors....well they took a lot longer! His eyes looked odd and he was scrawny as could be!

 Finally by end of summer all his teeth developed and he began to fill out and grow and looked like a normal raccoon. His fur was still very sparse and soft though, kind of like kitten fur syndrome.
 Come fall, when Dusty arrived....... big beautiful eyes, packing on body fat and grown to normal raccoon size. And that fur coat....beautiful and full and thick with a nice undercoat!

 Is he beautiful or what! He was a lot of work, but soooooo worth it! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment