North East Wildlife Animal Rehabilitation Coalition is a 501(c)3, non-profit organization. We are a group of licensed wildlife rehabilitators, and these are the tales of the injured and orphaned animals we care for until they are able to be released back into the wild.

Friday, March 22, 2013

Gearing up for baby season!

We are starting to gear up for baby season! Calls have been trickling in, but so far nothing that has needed to come in yet! I have my fingers crossed for a reunite with a momma coon and her kits tonight!

In the meantime, a couple of fowl friends from Waltham have been brought to Tuft's for a chance at recovery. A ring billed gull, tagged by the DCR in a gull study, was brought in unable to fly. After a night in my bathtub I can say he is quite the character....full of attitude and eating mice and sardines like a pig! I think he had a problem with one wing and if so I am hoping it can be fixed. I'll find out when I check up on him Monday.

 Just before getting the gull, I got this canada goose in. He was obviously not in good shape with crusty eyes and he allowed me to walk right up to him to catch him. The update from Tuft's was lead poisoning! Poor fella. He's already feeling better though and I'm told he even started to eat. A good sign! Hopefully he will continue to improve and after some time, will be able to go home.
 Niptwig here is staying with Mary now. He was treated by Tuft's after being hit by a car before
Thanksgiving. The right ulna was fractured and he had fur/quill loss from road rash. He also developed a skin problem while there so he was kept inside until mid January. He tolerated being outside well so they sent him to Mary to finish his recovery . He will be there at least 2 months, then go back for more xrays to determine if he is ready for release. He is doing well and  LOVES his food :)


  1. I just asked the Pres how in the world a Canadian Goose gets lead poisoning because I could hardly believe what I read!!! People are so ignorant of the world around us!!!!...:)JP

  2. Tuft's thinks most likely from ingesting a large led weight left behind by someone fishing. Unfortunately people do not stop to think about what they are doing to the environment when they use those old led weights and leave them, hooks and fishing line behind to wreak havoc on the wildlife!! Grrrrrrrr.........