NEW ARC

North East Wildlife Animal Rehabilitation Coalition is a 501(c)3, non-profit organization. We are a group of licensed wildlife rehabilitators, and these are the tales of the injured and orphaned animals we care for until they are able to be released back into the wild.

Monday, September 6, 2010

I'm still here!

I apologize for my absence.....without getting into to much of the gross details, I ended up getting a fungus on my thumb that caused both my hands to become very itchy and irritated to say the least! It was difficult using my hands for much and I pretty much avoided the computer throughout it all. By the time I finished dealing with the animals my hands were too irritated to do much else with them anyway, despite the use of gloves! They are FINALLY getting better....the new meds are working and my hands are looking normal again for a change.
A lot has happened since! Qbert, Snarf and Snuffles have grown! They're in the big indoor cage and loving it. Snuffles is somewhat of an escape artist and occasionally I find her waiting for me on top of the cage while the boys try to figure out how to join her!

There has been a large influx of baby squirrels these past few days. One injured adult and 10 new babies have joined the crew! Good thing my hands are getting better....even with some nice padded gloves these guys are a handful.

Roo here has been a guest for a little while. He's a very sweet adult that came in injured....possibly hit by a car? He's dragging his back end, however he can move his feet and tail and feels pain when pinched. He's pretty quick when he wants to be. He is eating great and the wounds and scrapes on his back feet are healing well so for the time being, he has a place to rest and is being given some time to see if his back end is just bruised and will heal with rest.


We did end up releasing the gang this past Wednesday. The hurricane was a non-factor weather wise in this area. I took some video of the release and I'll be damned if I can figure out how to get it onto my computer to post it! Ugghhhh....very frustrating!!! I've been back a couple of times and no sign of the gang. Laurie and I are going to try to head out there tomorrow night and see if anyone is around. In the meantime I'll keep trying to get that darn video to do what I want it to!!!


2 comments:

  1. I'm glad your hands are feeling better! Sounds like you have a real crowd!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Deanna, glad you're hands are getting better.
    Wish I could help you out with uploading your video, but I'm clueless. :(
    Poor little Roo, so sad. I hope he's not permanently crippled.

    ReplyDelete