NEW ARC

North East Wildlife Animal Rehabilitation Coalition is a 501(c)3, non-profit organization. We are a group of licensed wildlife rehabilitators, and these are the tales of the injured and orphaned animals we care for until they are able to be released back into the wild.

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Updates on the gang....

Feeding time is just not the same without the gang we moved to the release site! Oh....Dolci usually hears me out there and is the first to investigate as usual..........and then she calls the rest of them out who begin gathering on the wall as usual....
.....but there is a lot more empty space there now! *Sigh* The gang out at the release site is doing great...with one little kink. Drake decided to release himself early! I went back a couple days after putting them out there and while I'm inside cleaning up, a raccoon shows up outside trying to get in! I was mortified thinking I somehow let someone slip out the door when I went in!! He was easy enough to catch and put back in and I did another head count...about a hundred times!.....and once I was satisfied everyone was in there I left.
Laurie calls me the next day and guess what! Drake is out again....hanging out quite comfortably in a tree next to the pen. He's a little shy with me, so he's definitely not coming down for Laurie. So now we know at least it wasn't me being careless! He's getting out somehow. I checked the entire pen and the only thing I could find was a little section on the top where he possibly could have squeezed through and I wired it shut. Not much more we can do about it. When I see him out there he's not stressed or scared or running to me to "save him from the big scary world"....so I brought an extra den box and put it on top of the pen so he would have a place if he needed it, and we leave food out for him in there...that's in addition to the feeder that's already out there anyway. He's been hanging out in the area near them....sometimes he's right in the tree near the pen and other times we can't find him, but he seems to be doing fine and definitely doesn't seem to want back in. I just feel bad he's by himself right now.....if the weather wasn't so crappy we'd let them all join him....but as soon as it clears up they will.

So it's Vin that has the big hole in his ass....and he's doing great, but if you were to ask him how he feels this would be his reaction! LOL
He's being such a good patient though! He's got so many little holes all over him, poor thing, and he's very good about just sitting there letting my pull off the scabs to keep them open and draining. In fact I think he actually enjoys it!
He's done with the antibiotics and now it just remains to be seen if he's healed enough to go back out this fall or wait till spring....

The 6 baby squirrels (Caramel and crew) are growing like weeds and are in the large indoor cage now and loving it!
Once the weather clears up it will be time for Qbert, Snarf and Snuffles to get released with their group. They are big and beautiful and ready to go!
The baby flyers are doing awesome at Lisa's. She's been decorating the large cage with lots of hollow trees and branches for them to practice gliding when they are old enough.
We are also working on a fundraiser at my house for October. Some munchies, some beverages and Silpada Jewelry! The proceeds from the sales will go toward our jewels of the wild! It's going to be a busy month with that and then 2 wildlife conferences to go to as well in NH and NY!

3 comments:

  1. Still sounds really busy! Good luck with your fundraiser, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooh! i love that picture with all the little critters in the big cage/shelter!! and that squirrel!! CUTE!! good luck with your fundraiser!! and i always enjoy reading about all your hard work and adventures with your ever growing clan!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love to see them all peering at you! I wish you lots of luck and lots of donations at your fund raiser- wish I was close enough to visit myself! Little Vin has stolen my heart :)

    ReplyDelete