NEW ARC

North East Wildlife Animal Rehabilitation Coalition is a 501(c)3, non-profit organization. We are a group of licensed wildlife rehabilitators, and these are the tales of the injured and orphaned animals we care for until they are able to be released back into the wild.

Friday, July 13, 2012

Trouble in the woods.

Fluff, Millie, Champ and Scritch have been moved outside and are loving it! They are adjacent to the big group that includes the Fast Five and eventually the barrier separating them will be removed and watch out!
I found yet another sick raccoon out in the woods. I didn't mention it here, but last month I had to euthanize an adult I found out there, once again not getting it tested as there was no exposure. Well, Tuesday night while doing my rounds I came across a baby curled up in one of the feeders. About 4 mos. old, I figured it was a little one that must have gotten separated from mom and curled up where it was safe. I was hoping to just wake it and scare it up the tree to hang out and wait for it's mom, who I was sure would be back this way anytime soon! On closer inspection though, I realized something was wrong with the little guy. I captured him and held him in a carrier until Laurie was able to come over and help me check him out. He was definitely ill and had bite wounds on him. We euthanized the poor thing and this time had him tested, as he nicked me in the process of the initial capture. Sure enough, positive for rabies. So I have grave concerns for my extended family out there obviously. The only upside to it being rabies and not distemper or parvo....it is such a fragile virus there has to be a bite....contact between the animals, as opposed to the distemper and parvo virus remaining behind in the environment after the animal has left, still able to infect an unsuspecting passerby. Other than that...there is nothing good about this whatsoever and I'm beside myself with worry!!!!

3 comments:

  1. I never knew that distemper and parvo could just be "left behind" but more importantly I'm sure you felt horrible about the four month old! ...:)JP

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes.... it is in the form of fomites. The virus is in the poop or body fluids of an animal and is transferred, for example, when an infected animal say poops in a pile of leaves or sneezes on a branch. The next animal to come along comes in contact with that "fomite" and gets infected.Parvo is the worst and can live in the environment up to 2 years! Distemper maybe a couple months or so and rabies, with just the saliva being infective, dies as soon as the saliva dries.

    It was the worst thing thinking about what that poor baby endured up until I found him! I do take comfort in the fact that it was a much more peaceful end he had than if the disease ran the rest of it's course.....but it still really sucked! :(

    ReplyDelete