NEW ARC

North East Wildlife Animal Rehabilitation Coalition is a 501(c)3, non-profit organization. We are a group of licensed wildlife rehabilitators, and these are the tales of the injured and orphaned animals we care for until they are able to be released back into the wild.

Sunday, April 6, 2014

The first baby raccoon!

The first baby raccoon has arrived! Mom fell through the ceiling of a business. They got her outside and fixed the holes. Mom managed to get all but one baby out before the holes were sealed. Luckily someone heard this little guy in the wall and they cut him out. Ricky is safe and sound with Laurie and doing great!


Another possie that needed a lift!


My girl Belle has been making herself at home here lately. Unfortunately, it's in one of the empty squirrel pens! Do not even ask me how she manages to squeeze in that little hole.....but she does! So for now, the squirrel pen is a temporary raccoon pen. She isn't holing up in there permanently right now. She has taken up residence approximately 4 times in the last couple weeks, and I'm not sure if it's because she is in need a new or temporary home for some reason, but she's my girl and if she needs it, she's got it! When I'm sure she doesn't need it anymore, I'll have to burn the heck out of it with the flamethrower to disinfect it and make it squirrel ready again.
A bit of a pain in the butt.....but my Belle is worth it! One of my girls from my very first group of 10 released out here in 2006. She's been through a lot loosing some babies, and she's helped a lot adopting others from us, and she always knows I'll be here to look out for her when she needs it!



I had some fears last year that something may have happened to Hissy. After the babies were born I stopped seeing him. I'm afraid my fears have been realized. The Missus came in for a visit last week and that is not Hissy she is with. He has been a fixture out here since I moved here in 2005! All the fowl out here are not friendly and fear humans as they should, they are not like those used to being fed by people at popular ponds. He and the Missus weren't people friendly either, but for some reason he decided to be my friend (she would follow a little more hesitant), and would always come when I called while out on the pond. They are the only 2 that would ever come near me. I will miss my buddy! I'm happy to see the Missus is not alone though.


Funny thing...as one door closes, another opens. For the past week I've gone out to check on the Missus and her new beau. Without Hissy, they don't exactly come when called though. But suddenly, I have another pair that literally comes when I call....looks like a new friendship blooms.

2 comments: