NEW ARC

North East Wildlife Animal Rehabilitation Coalition is a 501(c)3, non-profit organization. We are a group of licensed wildlife rehabilitators, and these are the tales of the injured and orphaned animals we care for until they are able to be released back into the wild.

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Friends and furry sightings.

Last night was a great night! Had a wonderful visit and home cooked meal at Celine's. It was awesome to say the least....thanks so much Celine!!!!
I was on my way home when I decided at the last minute to check out the first release site....it wasn't far and it was a nice warm night. I have been various times looking for the gang with no luck since that first day, but not this late yet (around 11pm). Boy am I sooooo glad I did! Within minutes of filling the feeder and calling to the crew came the unmistakable sound of approaching critters! Diesel and Dozer wasted no time....it was like I had never been gone! Right over to me, both of them climbing up and into my arms. Cookies and lovin' thoroughly enjoyed! I couldn't get them out of my arms. A third came in, chattering away but not coming close. After some time watching the other 2 carry on like babies with me he decided to check it out a little closer. It was Razz! He was hesitant to approach, but nothing an iced oatmeal cookie couldn't change! LOL He was soon climbing all over me like the other 2. Then a fourth started over....Kodiak! He wasted much less time than Razz and once he was sure it was me, it was one big coonie pile on mom!
Oh it was so great to see them...and they look amazing! Big, strong, strapping young boys with beautiful coats and getting very big!
The ride home was spent dodging furry things in the road..it was crazy.
At one point I come across a coonie by the roadside...he moved back onto the sidewalk as my car approached and remained there as I drove by. It bothered me that it didn't just run back into the woods, something was up so I felt compelled to go back and check it out. Other cars had passed by and I was worried about it getting hit. As I get back to the area I had seen it, sure enough there it is lingering on the sidewalk...like it definitely wanted to cross but kept getting interrupted by cars going by maybe. (At least is seemed street smart). I passed and further up turned around again....waiting a couple minutes to give it time to cross without scaring it back to the side. I decide if it's still there I have to check it out and make sure it is ok. As I once again approach the area I see the glow of it's eyes on the sidewalk....then I suddenly see another glowing pair right in the middle of the road. What the heck! As soon as the one in the middle of the road sees me, it snatches up the smooshed squirrel that has been in the road for days now, dragging it back to the sidewalk and both turn and run back into the woods with the cherished prize!
What a riot. I could just picture them talking....Dude, I dare ya to go get that squirrel in the road.......Oh crap! Quick, here comes another car....Grab it, hurry up, lets go, come on!....I Got it, quick lets get outta here!....That was close, I thought you were a goner there for a minute!
Satisfied all is well, I head out again towards home. I come across an animal hit in the road....looks like a cat. Soooooooo I pull over to check it out. It's a gray fox. I check and the poor thing is dead (not long past) so all I can do is move it to the side out of the road so it doesn't get smooshed. What a shame....aside from being dead, it was a beautiful, healthy animal.
I head out again and a few yards down I come across something else in the road. This time it's a cat just sitting there. (Looked like Boots Celine!) I'm waiting for it to run out of the road as I roll up to it but it seemed clueless! WTF! It wasn't till I rolled to a stop about a car length away from it and revved the engine ....... Helllllloooooooooo!........ that if finally noticed me and was like....OH crap! and darted out of the road.
I pretty much drove the rest of the way home going 2mph afraid of what I would come across next! I was glad to get home!

No comments:

Post a Comment