NEW ARC

North East Wildlife Animal Rehabilitation Coalition is a 501(c)3, non-profit organization. We are a group of licensed wildlife rehabilitators, and these are the tales of the injured and orphaned animals we care for until they are able to be released back into the wild.

Sunday, July 25, 2010

A very large beaver was unfortunately hit by a car and killed near my house. I ran across the ACO trying to drag it out of the road. So as not to make his death a total loss, we brought it to the back of my property away from everything and left it for the coyotes and anything else that could utilize it for a meal. I know that may seem gross to a lot of you, but again, it's death may as well help the living.....
....and it did! It didn't take long for these guys to find it! Turkey vultures! First time guests here. They are quite large and I was first alerted when this one landed in a tree in my front yard...sorry, only got the back view and it was blocked by branches.
So I snuck down to the area where we put the beaver. I couldn't get too close....they have a very good sense of smell and they knew I was coming before I could even see them and flew into the trees. They weren't going to budge till I left, so I managed to get this shot from far away and then I left them in peace to eat.
So a sad ending for a beaver family briefly makes life a little easier for many others.....

1 comment:

  1. Yeah it's sad for the poor beaver, but it was good thinking on your part. After all, turkey vultures need to eat too.

    ReplyDelete