NEW ARC

North East Wildlife Animal Rehabilitation Coalition is a 501(c)3, non-profit organization. We are a group of licensed wildlife rehabilitators, and these are the tales of the injured and orphaned animals we care for until they are able to be released back into the wild.

Saturday, August 8, 2009

Spunky the rat.

OK...so I'm heading out to fill one last feeder before heading to work and I almost step on this little guy. Thought he was dead and when I went to scoop him up to remove him...surprise! He's got enough spunk left in him to squeak up a storm and bite the scoop! Great! Now what do I do with him!
I quickly pack him up and head to my vet on the way to work. He's thin, dehydrated as hell and LOADED with maggot eggs. I comb out what I can (hundreds!!), sub q some fluids and pop some capstar into his mouth in case the eggs left behind start hatching and rush to work. I can't bring him in with me...so I set him up outside in a safe warm spot. But there are hundreds more on him and he's in need of more critical care that I cannot give at work. JoAnn to the rescue!!!
Thank god she was off and able to swing by and take him. She combed out the hundreds more maggot eggs, re hydrated him and got him through his most critical time!!! A couple days later she brought me back a more stable, cleaned up and much healthier looking baby rat!



I'm happy to report that he is doing AWESOME! He is much bigger now and way to quick and jumpy to get a good updated photo. Not to mention his large teeth that he has no problem attempting to use on my fingers when I try to grab him! Oh yeah....he's gonna do just great out there when I release him.....

No comments:

Post a Comment