NEW ARC

North East Wildlife Animal Rehabilitation Coalition is a 501(c)3, non-profit organization. We are a group of licensed wildlife rehabilitators, and these are the tales of the injured and orphaned animals we care for until they are able to be released back into the wild.

Sunday, February 7, 2010

This year's WRAM conference.

Our annual wildlife association of Mass conference was Saturday at Tuft's wildlife center. It was an early morning for us...after a close call the night before.

I was on the night shift when I got a call from Laurie...she picked up a dead raccoon that her uncle found in the road across from his driveway. He lives right down the street from the release site where Dozer and the gang were released!

And the panic sets in........

So when I got out around 11pm I headed straight for Laurie's to attempt an ID.

Even more panic when I open the bag and it's the color of Dozer, Tank and Razz.....

It's pretty frozen and really smelly...but I was so panicked I just forced the back legs apart and started searching for all the things a boy should have.....to no avail!!! OH THANK GOD!!! Why? Because there were only 2 girls released there...Cat and Goldie.... Cat was really black while Goldie's name says it all, and it definitely wasn't them!! Whew...now I could get some sleep before the early morning rise to head to Tuft's.
It was a packed house at this year's conference...the biggest ever!

Laurie and Mary set up the silent auction.

The highlight was the raptor presentation by Wingmaster's


An American kestrel...

This red tail was rescued and had a band on it...by tracking the band it was discovered this bird is 32 years old! Amazing! And now enjoying a very cushy retirement.
A golden eagle.
And my new favorites because they are just the cutest damn things!...the eastern screech owl....


...and the northern saw-whet owl. Both very cute and very little owls!!


The ever beautiful great horned. I've got one of these guys living in my woods.

The barn owl....female...

...and male.

Had wayyyy to much fun driving home. Laurie hopped in Mary's car with her and Lisa and I rode together. When Mary's jeep passed us we just fell in behind her and followed. Finally at one point we decide, hey let's pull up next to them and say Hi! Well you can imagine our surprise when I look into the car and it's not them!!! HA!!! We had been following the wrong car! I can't even begin to tell you how hard we were laughing......ok maybe I can, lets just say we came very close to wetting our pants! LOL Good thing we figured it out before the jeep pulled off the highway because we would have been right behind it wondering where the hell Mary and Laurie were going! Too funny! Seems we always have some type of adventure after a WRAM conference!

No comments:

Post a Comment