NEW ARC

North East Wildlife Animal Rehabilitation Coalition is a 501(c)3, non-profit organization. We are a group of licensed wildlife rehabilitators, and these are the tales of the injured and orphaned animals we care for until they are able to be released back into the wild.

Sunday, February 12, 2012

Two captures.....two very different outcomes!

As I was taking care of the crew Friday afternoon I happened to notice a coonie sleeping on one of the tree platforms. OK....a little unusual but given the 50 degree temps. not outright wrong, although I would have expected it to be higher up cradled in the pine branches where I usually find them. 

A closer inspection revealed a very sick coonie. While I was observing him trying to decide how sick, or if he was injured, he proceeded to go back to what he was doing before I interrupted him.....chewing off his foot. Shit!!
 There was no doubt in my mind what I had to do....not with this one. He had also been gnawing on the platform he was on...shredding it! So I trudged up to the house and got the catch pole and net....it was not a difficult capture by any means. Once he was in the net he pretty much just rolled around on his back....
 .....in between trying to continue to chew his foot off. *Sigh*
 It was very sad and I immediately had him euthanized. Not one of my immediate gang thank god...but maybe a grand kid. He reminds me of one of the wild juveniles that used to hang around out there and, although wouldn't come near me, would tolerate my presence and let me watch him when I left a snack out there for him to eat. I am saddened to think it was him. I think it's time everyone out there gets a rabies booster!
 On a happier note.....a local dog rescue had a problem. A new 4 month old puppy that had just been transported up here to go into foster care had slipped its collar and run off. Of course it was one of those petrified pups that ran in fear from people. Kristen gave me a ring to see if I had a trap. It just so happens I had gotten a fox trap.....just in case for my resident foxes! Although we really didn't think it was going to work, I am thrilled to report that the traps maiden voyage  was a total success!!
One very scared, hungry puppy is now safe and sound!!!!!!! Whew! Lost a little sleep worrying about that one all alone out there....the night before the storm that never happened was due to hit!

3 comments:

  1. It's lucky you found the sick coon when you did and yes, it was heartbreaking. I don't know how you do it but the saving of the pup is great!...:)JP

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is sad. Poor coonie! Was his foot already injured or was it due to rabies causing him to gnaw on his foot?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was the rabies making him chew his foot...and shred the wood he was laying on...etc. Even though it wasn't one of my immediate babies, it still bums me out. :( I'll be keeping an extra sharp eye out in the woods, but I'm not too worried. This has happened in the past and it's not like I'm going to be invaded by hoards of zombie raccoons! :)

    I can't take credit for actually catching the puppy....I just lent them the trap, but I'm so psyched I had it to lend!

    ReplyDelete