NEW ARC

North East Wildlife Animal Rehabilitation Coalition is a 501(c)3, non-profit organization. We are a group of licensed wildlife rehabilitators, and these are the tales of the injured and orphaned animals we care for until they are able to be released back into the wild.

Friday, October 15, 2010

All the squirrels are in release pens!

Well squirrel season is almost officially at an end finally! All the buggers are out in release pens and will be on their way very shortly. There are 3 release pens out there. The "deluxe suite" has a large indoor and outdoor section. That's what we use if there are any overwinters. Qbert, Snarf, Snuff and some of JoAnn's crew were in that one and have been released but are still hanging out in there a little. The middle cage is smaller and is now occupied by 5 of JoAnn's crew. You can see one of them in the background here behind Caramel. Caramel and my crew of 6 are in the third larger cage with 7 more of JoAnn's babies. It's a full house but they are loving the hollow trees and logs in there as they acclimate to the area.




Depending on weather conditions, the 5 in the middle cage will go this weekend and Caramel's crew will get released next weekend.
I'll also have to work it around the wildlife conferences we are going to on both weekends. We have the Wild in Vermont conference to go to this weekend and then up to the Niagra area for the New York State Wildlife Rehabilitation Council conference next weekend! Things are going to be a little crazy for the next week or so. The fun part is getting critter sitters for everyone....and wildlife isn't the only thing I've rescued! I have 3 dogs and 6cats...all but one of the dogs were rescues. My family dreads it when they hear I am going away! LOL

2 comments:

  1. I hope you have a good time at the conferences- safe travels to you! The squirrels are darn cute :) We have tons in my yard- we have lots of oak trees and I love watching them bury acorns all over the place :) We have gray and reds and occasionally some black ones will show up for awhile- but I wonder if the others chase them off? They don't seem to stay around for long. Good luck with the releases ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, I would LOVE to be a critter sitter. Dang, I wish I lived closer to you.

    ReplyDelete