NEW ARC

North East Wildlife Animal Rehabilitation Coalition is a 501(c)3, non-profit organization. We are a group of licensed wildlife rehabilitators, and these are the tales of the injured and orphaned animals we care for until they are able to be released back into the wild.

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

River Raccoon and the kids get released!

Sunday was the big day for River and her brood! The release window was opened on their pen and it wasn't long at all before they were all out climbing like crazy. For the most part they all hung out in the tree right outside the pen. At one point, while I was cleaning the rest of the pens, I heard a sickening thud....like a large branch had fallen and hit the top of the pen. My heart sank as I rushed over there and found one of the babies pretty much unconscious on the ground. I brought her back into the pen to assess and do whatever I could.....pretty much out of my hands at that point. Thank God she started to come out of it and it was not long before she was climbing around the pen again! I still can't believe it! No signs of injuries, no bleeding from eyes, nose, mouth or ears...no limp...nothing. It was like it never happened. One of her sisters had apparently snuck back in there as well and they chilled out together for a while. Once it was apparent all seemed normal I re-opened the release door should they decide to leave again.






By the last time I checked them, River and one of the girls had wandered off into the woods and the other 3 were hanging around the pen playing . Next morning, River and baby were in a den box out back in the woods and the other 3 were in their den box in the pen. As of last night, the male Howell, was still hanging around the pen, River and baby were still hanging by the den box and no idea where the other 2 are.
I'm not terribly worried about the separation....I waited till the babies were pretty huge before releasing them around here....knowing some of the characters they would be up against out there, but I kind of wish they had kept better track of each other! Either way, as long as the babies need it, I'll be here to support them out there if they don't end up reuniting with mom.

2 comments:

  1. it must be so sad...to release...they get used to YOU, you get used to them...and then...it's time for them to learn to fend for themselves.
    but at least, the way it sounds...they get released into the woods...right there...and they can (and do) come back for a visit??!!

    i guess you really never get used to releasing them, do you? it's ad and happy at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You hit the nail on the head Laura! I'm usually balling when I release them! LOL I don't release them all on my property, not since after the first couple years....don't want to over flood an area. The population seems nice and stable out here right now, Ringer and Belle helping to prove that! Until recently I haven't released any out here in about a year or so. I let the boys go here earlier since I kenw they wouldn't "add" to the population and River and kids will be it for this year at my place. Now we are looking for release sites...we have more coonies than available release sites at the moment! But I sooooo wish I was on tons of acres in the middle of nowhere so I could release them all around me and be their constant safe haven!

    ReplyDelete